Jagoda Malanin is a finalist in the 2023 professional competition Sony World Photography Awards in the category “Still Life” and took 3rd place for the series “Cryogenia”. She graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Wroclaw and studied at the Faculty of Arts in Porto. She was selected to attend the Nikon Noor Academy in Poland in 2022, as well as the Sputnik Photos Mentoring Program in 2019/2020. Her work was featured among others in Der Greif (Guest Room), Abridged Magazine (Ireland and NI), and Membrana Journal of Photography (Slovenia). In 2021, she published her first photobook, “Memoir found in a bathtub”. Co-creates the art collective “Hydroza”. She exhibited in Poland and abroad.
In her artistic practice, she is interested in the concept of the “third landscape” (Staghorn sumac 2017). Her works touch on topics like endangered pregnancy and maternity fears (Memoir found in a bathtub, 2018–2020); the understanding of the skin as a concept (Skins we live in, 2021); habitual guilt (The thing with feathers, 2022); and survival (Cryogenia, 2022).
She works mainly with photography and ready-mades. She is interested in photography as a medium of disbelief, with its ambiguity and dissonance, and she looks for the tactility of photographic objects.
- 2023, “Cryogenia” 3rd place finalist of Sony World Photography Awards professional, category still life
- 2023, “Who is the last to cry”, Pracownia Wschodnia, collective Hydroza
- 2022, selected to Nikon Noor Academy in Poland 2022, mentored by Andrea Bruce
- 2022, “Skins we live in” Galleria u Agatki, Poland, curated by Agata Grzych
- 2022, “Good evening”, BWA Wroclaw, Galleries of Contemporary Art, Poland, collective, curated by Iwona Kałuża
- 2021, “Skins we live in” selected to publish in Membrana Journal of Photography, Theory and Visual Culture, Vol. 6. no. 2 (Skin) 2021. Slovenia, collective
- 2021, “Year of restless sun” – Book Art Museum in Łódź, Poland, collective;
- 2021, Memoir found in a bathtub – Gallery Miejsce przy Miejscu 14 in Wroclaw, curated by Lukasz Rusznica, individual;
- 2021, NO. 9 – Social Center of Photography in Warsaw, by Sputnik Photos Mentoring Programme, collective;
- 2021, featured in Abridged Magazine, No-77, Northern Ireland, collective
- 2021, accepted to Image Threads mentoring program, worked on the book with Sara J. Winston;
- 2021, Der Greif – Guest room, online collective exposition curated by Anna-Alix Koffi, teamed up with artist Sadikou Oukpedjo;
- 2020, Memoir found in a bathtub –TIFF Festival, Wrocław – Featured author – collective;
- 2019, Takeovers – Agora Gallery, Wroclaw – individual;
- 2018, Eropol – Galeria u Agatki, Tamka, Wroclaw – collective with Katarzyna Śmigielska
- 2016, Spontaneous architectures 2 – Galeria Duży Pokój, Warsaw – individual;
- 2013, Move up – Galeria Dos Leones, Porto, Portugal – collective;
- 2013, Four Points – Galeria Duas da Letra, Porto, Portugal – collective;
- Membrana Journal Vol. 6. no. 2 (Skin) 2021 Membrana Journal of Photography, Theory and Visual Culture (ISSN 2463-8501; eISSN: 2712-4894)
- No. 9., Sputnik Photos Mentoring Programme, 2021, ISBN 978-83-956367-2-1 , collective, print run 700
- “Memoir found in a bathtub” Mustikka Press, 2021, individual,